BERC experts, in partnership with Renewable Energy Vermont, Housing Vermont, and the Vermont Fuel Efficiency Partnership have been hitting the road in Vermont to share the basics of wood pellet heating systems.
Two workshops provided a hands-on overview of the modern, automated pellet heating systems installed at the Montpelier Senior Center and the Tamarack House in Brandon. There were about 25-30 attendees at each presentation, with plenty of time for an animated discussion and a full tour of each system.
Highlighted topics have so far have included:
- An overview of biomass heat
- Perspectives from housing developers on biomass heating and its applications in multifamily buildings
- Opportunities to optimize the design process and select appropriate biomass systems
- An overview of pellet boiler systems
- Integrating pellet systems with solar photovoltaics, solar hot water, and fossil fuels
- An overview of the manufacture and distribution of wood pellets
The responses from workshop attendees have been positive and enthusiastic. The BERC team and partners will continue their road show on Friday, March 14th, 2014 from 9am to noon at the Windsor Village Apartments in Windsor, VT. For more information, or to register, please email BERC.